Have you tried to play Mojang Minecraft (Java edition or on Windows 10 ), but got a connection errors or crashes? If so, I'll show you what you can do in order to identify the error and find a solution.
Below you can find a list of common issues related to Mojang Minecraft:
- Java Edition Error "Launching the game failed"
- Failed to load URL
- Login failed - Windows of Playstation
- Games freeze or crashes
- Can't join servers
- Games not loading
You can follow next steps in order to resolve your problems
Step #1: Check recent reported errors for Mojang Minecraft
First you can considered next places to check if other people have problems too:
- Mojang Support - Problems with Minecraft or a Mojang account? Let us know! - Support Feed on Twitter
- Mojang Minecraft Issues - check for Minecraft Issues
- Downdetector Possible problems at Minecraft - place where people all over the world share instantly problems related to the game
For example from the last resource you can find next information:
- 17 January: Problems at Minecraft
- 19 December: Problems at Minecraft
- 14 December: Problems at Minecraft
most reported problems are:
- Online play
You can search for another similar errors like yours in the Mojang Minecraft Issues. For example for all tickets which contains: java windows by:
- Open the issue tracker: Mojang Minecraft Issues
- place the search term
- Check the issues on the left hand side
For example for Java I can see next reported issues:
- java crash / 2.0.1003 (Windows) / java.lang.NullPointerException
- Unable to locate the Java runtime. Error details: Undefined error: 0
- Java version update incompatibility
- Unable to locate the Java runtime.
Error details: Incorrect function
Filename on disk: javaw.exe
Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Minecraft\runtime\jre-x64\1.8.0_25\bin\javaw.exe
Step #2: Update the Mojang Minecraft and Java
If the game is not loading or starting (other people can play without problems) then you need to ensure that you have the latest versions for the:
- Java (if it is the Java edition)
Once you do updates for Mojang Minecraft or Java you can restart the computer and try again.
For example Java and JAVA SE Runtim: can be downloaded from:
Best is to get the latest stable edition like:
Java SE 13.0.2 is the latest release for the Java SE Platform
It's good also to keep your Windows 10 up to date with the latest updates(for older versions of Windows - the support is stopped for most of them - so it's not clear is the game able to be played or not).
Step #3: Reinstall the Mojang Minecraft and Java
If you have everything up to date but the game is not loading, it still freezes up or crashes. Then you can reinstall it and/or reinstall Java. Before starting with reinstall ensure that you have backup on your game progress (check the Bonus section).
How to uninstall Minecraft will depends on your version so you can find more information on this link: Uninstall Minecraft:
Note: Please note that your worlds and your saved worlds and inventory will be deleted when you remove the files. If you want to keep your progress, you need to locate the saves folder and save it on your computer before you drag the .minecraft folder to the trash.
So for Windows the steps described are:
- Go to your Application Data Folder, %AppData%. To find it, press Win+R, type %appdata%.minecraft, then click “OK”
- Drag the .minecraft folder to the trash
plus Minecraft for Windows 10
To uninstall Minecraft for Windows 10, press the search icon in the bottom left corner and search for Minecraft. Right-click on the icon and select uninstall.
In order to uninstall Java on Windows 10 you can do:
- Click Start
- Apps & features
- Select the Java program to uninstall and then click its Uninstall button.
- Respond to the prompts to complete the uninstall
More info here: How do I uninstall Java on my Windows computer?
Note: If you have Windows restore points and you use one of them in order to see if the game is working. Consider what was changed during the time of the Restore point and now in order to prevent information loss.
Step #4: Try Minecraft on new computer or Virtual Machine
If the latest steps didn't solve your problems you can try to play the game on completely new machine or by using Virtual Machine. You can find short video about how to play Fortnite on Linux Virtual Machine and reuse the steps for this game: play fortnite linux virtual machine
Playing in VM is not the best option but it's better than nothing. And at least you will know that there is a problem with your machine and best will be to do fresh install on your machine.
Step #5: Minecraft Login Issues
For login issues like:
What I expected to happen was... Login into the Minecraft launcher with correct info and press launch
What actually happened was...:
It said Invalid credentials
Steps to Reproduce:
- Put in Minecraft name or email
- Press login
Best will be to test the service with working account (of your friend or another one) or test your account on a different station. If the problem is still present than you can use the Customer Support
Bonus Step #1: Back Up Your Minecraft Worlds
In order to avoid lost of data it's all good to have up to date backups. In this bonus step you can find how to back up Mojang.( Full system back up is option too).
- Back up the game data
Depending on your system you can find the information in different places like:
- Windows 10 -
- Linux - /home/user/.minecraft/
- Mac OS -
- Important files to back up:
/saves/- Contains your Minecraft worlds. Each world has a unique directory based on its name
/versions/- Your current and past versions of Mojang Minecraft organized via version-numbered sub-folders
/libraries/- Java libraries
/options.txt- File containing all the user-configurable in-game options: chat options, key bindings, mouse sensitivity, etc
/launcher_profiles.json- Database file; contains all the relevant information about your individual profiles including the default profile.
/assets/- Contains game assets like icons, language packs, and sounds. If you want to listen to the Minecraft theme songs outside of the game you'll find them in /music/game/
There two ways of creating back ups:
- manually - every week or two getting a USB or external drive and copy and paste the game content
- automated - using program to make auto sync with your game data
Personally I prefer the second way of back ups because it's more consistent and reliable.
Good Luck & Have Fun
playing Majong Minecraft!